Hello everybody!
This is rather off-topic, as it doesn't directly concern TDE, so far as I can
tell. However, it does concern using my Trinity colors and preferences. Does
anybody have a clue what's going on?
After reading about Leslie's recent upgrade, I decided that I myself had been
putting off a similar upgrade. I run Devuan, so I upgraded from Daedalus to
Excalibur.
It was actually relatively painless, compared to doing a complete
reinstallation from scratch. I dreaded rebooting, fearing that I might end up
with a non-working machine, but everything looks and works practically the
same as before.
However ... there are yet a few glitches that I can't figure out. I am
wondering if others have had issues something like these.
1. audacious won't start up. I did look up all the documentation and
discussions on the forums, but they are mostly old (going back to 2007,
etc.). For what it's worth, I have my audacious configured to start up after
boot, which has worked seamlessly for about ten years now. I haven't changed
much since then. I tried renaming these folders, tried renaming the config
file, etc., but nothing helps.
/home/~/.config/audacious
/home/~/.local/audacious
Usually, after I do this, then restart audacious, it creates new folders, and
new config files. Then I just overwrite these with my own, and after that,
everything is fine. This time, however, audacious won't start up at all,
although it does appear as a process, briefly, in top, then disappears; and
in htop it appears as a process, but does nothing, and I can only kill the
process with some effort.
I tried installing the plugins, codecs, etc., but thus far can't imagine what
the problem may be.
2. I also have problems with qmmp. It starts up and plays just fine, but some
of its behavior has changed. It's a minor annoyance, but I would like it to
play the way that I had it set. Now I must do a lot more clicking to make
playlist and equalizer appear or disappear; before, I would just flip from
one view to another, and they disappeared or appears automatically.
Before anybody makes the suggestion, I do not want to use qmmp for both online
radio and for playing my local files. I have tried this before, and I prefer
to stick with my own methods here, if possible, which have worked for twenty
years or more.
I did try out practically every other media player that might work as a
substitute, but they are all inadequate in some way. Mostly, I want them to
have equalization and that kind of thing, and to use Winamp skins.
3. VLC suddenly will not accept my system colors (i.e., TDE colors), but
instead uses some kind of default. At least it's legible, and still plays
about the same as before. But I imagine it's related to this same issue.
4. Likewise, smplayer plays the same, but now it starts up with a plain white
interface, whereas before it used some kind of Gnomish-looking color scheme.
In all of these cases -- and there may be others, but I haven't searched
through my whole system -- one common factor is that I end up with a totally
white interface (with black fonts) for menus and such.
To be clear, I use my color scheme to save my eyesight, which has been giving
me problems more and more with age. A white background is like torture, and
within five or ten minutes, my eyes get watery, and I can't see. I've been
using dark color schemes ever since the year 2000 or so, and I would like to
keep it that way.
At present, I really want to get audacious working again, as I usually have
either qmmp playing online radio, or audacious playing music from my files.
The rest, I can live with, and sort out it time.
Sorry for the length. As I said, these problems all seem to be, in some way,
the same underlying problem.
Thanks for any help.
Bill